I have enjoyed reading a range of books on the subject of Shamanism through the years. Whether practical guides for study/reference, more personal tales or related subjects, each have had their beautiful gifts to offer.
Below are a key few in my collection that I wish to share for their teachings, poetry or inspiration. I hope you will enjoy them too.
Core and Foundational Reading
- Cave and Cosmos: Shamanic Encounters with Another Reality. Michael Harner, North Atlantic Books.
- Conscious Dreaming: A Unique Nine-step Approach to Understanding Dreams. Robert Moss, Ebury – Rider.
- The Cosmic Serpent: DNA and the Origins of Knowledge. Jeremy Narby, Tarcher/Putnam.
- Darkness Visible: Awakening Spiritual Light Through Darkness Meditation. Ross Heaven and Simon Buxton, Destiny Books.
- Fire in the Head: Shamanism and the Celtic Spirit. Tom Cowan, HarperCollins – HarperOne.
- The Hollow Bone: A Field Guide to Shamanism. Colleen Deatsman, Red Wheel/Weiser – Weiser Books.
- How to Heal Toxic Thoughts: Simple Tools for Personal Transformation. Sandra Ingerman, Sterling – Sterling Ethos.
- Plant Spirit Medicine: A Journey into the Healing Wisdom of Plants. Eliot Cowan, Sounds True.
- Shamanic Journeying: A Beginners Guide. Sandra Ingerman, Sounds True.
- The Shamanic Way of the Bee: Ancient Wisdom and Healing Practices of the Bee Masters. Simon Buxton, Destiny Books.
- Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy. Mircea Eliade, Penguin – Arkana.
- Shamanism: As a Spiritual Practice for Daily Life. Tom Cowan, Crossing Press.
- Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self. Sandra Ingerman, HarperCollins – HarperOne.
- The Way of the Shaman. Michael Harner, HarperCollins – HarperOne.
Compilations of First Person Accounts and Direct Indigenous Teachings
- Shamanic Voices: A Survey of Visionary Narratives. Joan Halifax, E.P.Dutton.
- Shamanism. Compiled by, Shirley Nicholson, Quest Books.
- Shamans of the World: Extraordinary First-person Accounts of Healings, Mysteries and Miracles. Editors: Nancy Connor and Bradford Keeney, Sounds True.
- Traveling Between the Worlds: Conversations with Contemporary Shamans. Hillary.S.Webb, Hampton Roads.
Guides and Reference
- Animal Wisdom: The Definitive Guide to the Myth, Folklore and Medicine Power of Animals. Jessica Dawn Palmer, HarperCollins – Thorsons.
- The Book of Symbols: Reflections on Archetypal Images. Editor: Kathleen Martin, TASCHEN.
- Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods & Goddesses. Judika Illes, HarperCollins – HarperOne.
- Herb Craft: A Guide to the Shamanic and Ritual Use of Herbs. Susan Lavender and Anna Franklin, Capall Bann.
- The Illustrated Signs & Symbols Sourcebook: An A to Z Compendium of Over 1000 Designs. Adele Nozedar, HarperCollins.
- Nordic Runes. Paul Rhys Mountfort, Destiny Books.
- Ogam: The Celtic Oracle of the Trees. Paul Rhys Mountfort, Destiny Books.
- Shamanism: An Encyclopedia of World Beliefs, Practices and Culture Volume I/II. Editors: Mariko Namba Walter and Eva Jane Neumann Fridman, ABC-CLIO.
- Tree Wisdom: The Definitive Guidebook to the Myth, Folklore and Healing Powers of Trees. Jacqueline Memory Paterson, HarperCollins – Element.
Click here for “Sacred Hoop” a leading international magazine about shamanism, sacred wisdom and earth spirituality. Digital and paper formats.
This list comprises broader, more foundational texts. I have purposefully omitted mythology, folklore and more culturally specific books as these tend to be a very personal choice and the lists can become extensive!
Needless to say, each of the above authors have numerous publications to their names and many other references within that you may wish to explore further.